I Think We Need To Talk...


Our MySpace: Be Our Friend

We Dig This Stuff:
Scamper
Okay Thursday
Harris
Kay Hanley
The Boston Red Sox
Teddy's Sports and Politics Blog

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Would You Want To Know?

I was just editing some photos from this year's Hot Stove Cool Music event, and had the TV on in the background. I put on the movie If Only on ABC Family. The movie itself was horrible. It's that lame, cheesy, a million takes per line before they got it to look less scripted type of movie. I, of course, was in tears by the end of it. Why? Well, before I explain, I have a question for you (you being, me asking myself a question).

If you could find out how and when you were going to die, would you take that knowledge? What would you do with your last day if you knew it was coming? Would you tell anyone? Who would be the one person that you'd want to see, hug, kiss? Is there anyone you'd want to explain anything to that for whatever reason, you never told them?

And even more thought provoking:

If one of your friends told you that they found out that this was their last day alive, how would you react? What if it was someone you didn't know very well? Would you do anything different? Would you try to save them?

This movie made me wish that I had the courage to explain to people what they mean to me and what they've done to make me a better or worse person. I wish even more that doing things like that were more acceptable and less laughable. I wish it wasn't so uncomfortable for all involved to be more open and honest and heartfelt.

I wonder if there will ever be a time that conversations like that will be taken to heart and not made fun of.

One can only hope.

Oh, party at Miranda's tonight. I'm hoping to make it out. See you all there.
xoxo
s

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Marmorek said...

If you could find out how and when you were going to die, would you take that knowledge?

Watched "Big Fish" last night, with my 11 year old nephew, and that's an idea that's in there. Our hero does choose to know, and his argument is that it really frees you up before that date, cos you can do anything and know it won't kill you.

It gets easier to have real discussions, in my experience, as one ages. Maybe that's because one's last day is coming closer.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Sophie and Miranda said...

Big Fish is easily one of my favorite movies. I cry at the end almost every single time. Though, I really doubt that your death can be viewed through the empty socket of a witch's eye. I still think I'd like to know. I guess it's what I would do with knowing that puzzles me.

I agree about the age and conversations. I wonder if those people that "never grow up" live longer and the people that try to appreciate things and actually put more time into certain aspects of life just know somewhere deep down that they don't have much time and need to truly take in everything to the fullest.

Or vice versa.

-s

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home